Media and Beauty - What it means to be accepted





Yellow Fever also happens to be Ng'endo's thesis film, made last year, at the Royal College of Art in London. It's a short film which continues to travel the film festival circuit, attracting acclaim along the way, and rightfully so.
IN HER OWN WORDS
"I am interested in the concept of skin and race, and what they imply; in the ideas and theories sown into our flesh that change with the arc of time. I believe skin and the body, are often distorted into a topographical division between reality and illusion. The idea of beauty has become globalised, creating homogenous aspirations, and distorting people’s self-image across the planet. In my film, I focus on African women’s self-image, through memories and interviews; using mixed media to describe this almost schizophrenic self-visualization that I and many others have grown up with."